NJAWBO is a membership organization that encourages and supports business ownership by women. It is owned and managed by its members.
1.ACTIVE – (VOTING): A woman who
- Holds ownership interest in a for-profit or not-for-profit business.
- Maintains a place of business for the Business, and
- Substantially manages or works in the Business. The ownership interest shall be either a sole proprietorship; a general partner in a partnership; a shareholder in a corporation who has the authority as a director and/or officer of the corporation, or a member in a limited liability company with authority to make decisions and who is actively involved in the overall or the day-to-day management of the business, commissioned agents or brokers representing a parent company but which company does not control the means and methods by which they operate.
2. ACTIVE PLUS – Class 1 or 2 (VOTING): The Active-Plus Class Member is a woman who:
- Holds an ownership interest in a for-profit or not-for-profit business (the "Business”)
- Maintains a place of business for the Business
- Substantially manages or works in the Business, and
- Has employees and the ownership interest referred to in the Active Class shown above. An Active-Plus Class Member shall have the right to one vote on each and every issue presented to the Membership, provided that such member is a Member in Good Standing. The Active Plus Member will be able have up to two of her employees attend NJAWBO events and activities at member prices. However the employees will not have the right to vote nor will they be listed in the NJAWBO membership roster. If the Active-Plus Member is no longer a Member in Good Standing, the employees will also no longer be eligible to receive NJAWBO member pricing.
3. ASSOCIATE (NON-VOTING):
Individuals (women and men) who support the objectives of the Corporation but do not meet the criteria for a voting class member. An Associate member is an owner of a business that is not 51% woman‐owned or someone who is an employee (receiving a W2 form and not a 1099).
4. NON-PROFIT– (NON-VOTING):
A Non-Profit 501(c)(3) Class Member shall be a founder or executive director of a non‐profit organization (not a not‐for‐profit) who supports the objectives of the Corporation but does not meet the criteria for an Active Class Member. A Non-Profit Class Member shall not have the right to vote on any issue presented to the Membership, but shall be entitled to receive notice of such issue presented to the voting class members for vote, in the same form and within the same time period. The total Non-Profit Class Members of the Corporation shall not exceed ten (10%) of the total Membership in any Region.
5. EQUAL WOMEN PARTNERS (VOTING):
The Equal Partners Class shall be two women who equally own a business in a 50/50 partnership. Both women must join and be members in good standing to qualify for this membership class. Each will have the right to one vote on each and every issue presented to the Membership.
Each woman partner/owner will pay an annual membership fee of $180, and each will receive all the benefits of a regular active membership. This allows each of the women owners of the same business to attend any meeting at member price, have her own name badge, vote in the annual meeting, etc.
This classification is not for one woman out of a partnership who wants to join; if only one woman out of a partnership wishes to join, she will pay the regular $235 price. Both equal partners must join to qualify for this price, and both partners must be women.
Ready to join? Join online!
If you are not yet ready to join, consider adding yourself as a prospect and indicate from which region(s) you would like to receive event broadcasts. You are allowed to attend up to 3 (three) NJAWBO meetings before being asked to join.